Thursday 1 November 2012

An Advocate

There are a few words that when uttered, immediately bring up fear, loathing, horror and the list could go on.  Cancer is one and another is Telstra.  I think most of us would have a Telstra story to share.  I know because I am on the receiving end of approximately 30 stories a day and have been for the past 18 years.  Yes I work for Telstra.  I have been doing call centre work for them in various locations around the country doing various functions.  At the moment I take calls from people who are wanting to cancel their home phone, Bigpond or Foxtel or any combination of the 3.  So believe me when I say, I have heard them all.  As an employee over the years, I have had my fair share of grizzles and grumbles about what we have to do and the way we have to do it.  The work is mentally demanding and high consistent results are an expectation of the job.  So it goes without saying there is a degree of pressure and anxiety to achieve each month.  Having said all that and in our current situation I could not have asked for a better employer!

When I told my centre manager of Karen's cancer, her response was "what can we do.  What do you need of us."  They have accommodated days off that I need to accompany Karen to appointments.  They have reiterated that this is just a job, and of course we have financial commitments, but our family comes first.  So in the ensuing days where I have struggled to be present mentally they have been very accommodating and sympathetic.  A big thanks to my centre manager who checks on me daily, always with a smile on her face making sure I have everything I need while at work.  They have made leave available to me, so that I can take time off to be with Karen during radiotherapy.  So there isn't anything they have not done to help.  Thank You.

So in closing, next time you have to ring Telstra and possibly do battle over a bill or a service, just remember there are people just like me on the other end of the phone.   Telstra is an employer with compassion not only to their staff but to their customers. So next time you have the urge to ring and rip them a fresh one, just pause and think, "Hey, they looked after Karen and Steve".  Maybe they're not so bad.

2 comments:

  1. Well said Steve. The Centre Managers in Adelaide are awesome (not sure who yours is)- say hi to them for me. As an employer the company is amazing to staff. During my time with T I went through highs and lows and they were always accommodating. It goes without saying, there's give and take- you've been a good employee, why wouldn't they support you in your time of need. All the Best. F x

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes steve i fully agree i too have had personal experience when sickness happens and yes we are lucky that we are being looked after by our employer not everyone is that lucky :) and yes doesnt it make it a little easier when the work side of things is not another struggle to deal with

    ReplyDelete